30=My Personal "New Year"

My 30th birthday is in 30 days!

So often on January 1 of each year I make goals, also known as New Year resolutions. Those goals typically include health and wellness, financial, spiritual growth goals, and vacations I would like to take with my husband and kids. 

It's not the New Year, but a new year and a new decade of my life is approaching. I feel led to make some resolutions, and honestly turning 30 on June 26th of 2020, feels just as celebratory for this season of my life, as January 1 of 2020.

(My vision board for the year of 2020 I made with my friends, in celebration of the New Year).

As exciting as it feels to become 30 in 30 days, I also feel the weight and responsibility of fulfilling my purpose that this new year and new decade of life brings. 

Have you ever made birthday resolutions? 

I've personally never had birthday resolutions or a birthday that has ever felt this grand (yep, even despite all the negativity happening in the world in 2020). My birthday resolutions will remain private, but I will share my approach to accomplishing my resolutions. The Lord downloaded in my heart that I already have the blueprint to fulfilling his purpose for my life, I just need to build off what has already worked in the past.

My most recent accomplishment was graduating from a Master's program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. 

What did I do to get through the Master's Program?...aka the blueprint for my 30th birthday resolutions:
  • I lived off a schedule.
I knew what time I needed to wake up to do assignments, get the kids out the door for daycare, be at my internship, go to work, then go to class.
There was structure. I have asked myself lately why I haven't felt fulfilled, and I truly believe it's been a lack of structure. Especially since being quarantined during this COVID-19 pandemic, I have been focusing on surviving and making adjustments, rather than thriving and a schedule to accomplish goals. 

*Let me make this clear: I needed grace, the lack of schedules, and the mindset of just making it to the end of the day during the onset of COVID-19. My mental health did not need the extra pressure of a strict schedule during that time. My daughter did her lessons when we could, I took naps with my kids in the middle of the day, and some weeks we ate out every day because we didn't have the energy to prepare a home-cooked meal. 

Time is up now. I feel a weight has been lifted, and I have the grace to make a schedule, and be intentional about what is to be accomplished for the day, week, and even year. 
  • There was a clear end goal.
I woke up early to submit assignments, went to my internship for more hours during a week than I was at work, gave birth to my son William, and jumped right back into the swing of things...all because the GOAL was clear.
*When I didn't feel like it, I still showed up to my internship and classes. When I didn't feel like it, I still cooked, so I would have lunch and dinner prepared for my family when I wasn't around. When I didn't feel like it, I worked odd days and hours to feed my family.

At one point, the goal of graduating was 8 semesters away, but because I didn't make excuses and remained consistent, that goal then became only weeks away and I was giving it everything I had. I'm telling you, when I have a goal, I make sure that everything in my life is in alignment so that I can reach the goal.
  • Financial gain.
 No seriously, I knew my salary would raise when I graduated. It's something about knowing that money is on the other side of the goal that made me keep pressing towards the goal.
*So much happened when I gave birth to my son while in graduate school, and it looked like I was going to have to be in school for an additional semester. I was advised to slow everything down and push my graduation date back, due to lack of time. This is when I quit my job, worked more strategically for additional hours at my internship, received favor from God financially, and I ended up graduating ON TIME.

Time is money. Get to it, friends!
  • Increased faith. 
Lastly, I built a strong faith muscle. Because of how the Lord carried me through that graduate program, I have confidence that with my next goal the Lord CAN and WILL see me through. I've seen him do it, and I trust that he will carry me through my next assignment in life.

*I heard the Lord clearly and acted on his voice when it came down to making big decisions, and he never failed me throughout the Master's program. My faith was in action, and my faith was rewarded.

Try Jesus. You'll be surprised by all the blessings he has JUST FOR YOU!

I desire the fulfillment of making resolutions and accomplishing goals again. 

I'm committing to multiple goals, a schedule, putting myself in situations that increase my faith, and lastly watching God load up my bank account because of my obedience to him and being committed to myself.


Will you join me in making resolutions for your upcoming birthday?
-Brittany L Bradley

*P.S. Stay tuned for how I'm celebrating my 30th birthday!* 
I think I was on to something when I said my 30th feels as celebratory as the New Year.

Instagram: @brittanylbradley

Comments