Holiday Season Blues

Hi Friends,

For me, this time of year is extra busy. I'm typically finishing up work projects and giving 110% of myself as an employee. I am making sure JoJo has everything she needs at school: extra money for school parties, special outfits and cute hairstyles, going the extra mile with school assignments, and buying her teacher a Christmas gift. I am planning JoJo's birthday party (birthday in January), I am planning the details of packing, traveling, and seeing family during this holiday season. We have a 5-day vacation in the mountains to bring in the New Year, so I'm also making sure we are prepared for traveling again with kids after our Christmas break. Lastly, during this time of year, I feel like I have to declutter my whole home. Things that we no longer use, is dirty/tore up in any capacity, and is no longer age appropriate for the kids...I desire to get rid of it before 2022...which is tons of pressure on me.

Honestly, the only Christmas decor in the house right now is JoJo's Christmas tree in her room! 

During this time of year, I'm often overloaded with what I haven't accomplished: I haven't applied for my ALC, I haven't bought a single gift I have screen-shot on my phone from all year long, I'm running out of time to plan JoJo's 7th birthday party, and I'm very realistic that I don't have enough money to purchase all my friends and their kids a gift, nor all my family members a gift.

I am always fighting being financially responsible or not during the holiday season, then I end of throwing all the gifts, JoJo's birthday expenses, and holiday travel and dining on a credit card and deal with it later. I'm just being honest.

But this year, the holy spirit told me to honor the season I am in, to go with my initial feelings for this holiday season, and because the holy spirit hasn't led me wrong all year, I'm going to honor what was said to me. I wanted to share what the holy spirit said to me, and you can apply it in your life where needed.

1) Communicate. 

Whether it's with your spouse, family, or friends... communicate about expectations this year. If you can't do something, don't want to do something, or it doesn't help your mental health...tell them and don't do "it." 

2) Bank Account (Not Available Credit).

I have looked at our bank account and have accounted for what we currently have and extra money that will be deposited. Then I accessed our holiday travel plans, vacation in the mountains, JoJo's birthday party, dining out, and I have vowed that all expenses will ONLY be paid through our bank account. If our bank account won't allow it, we WILL NOT do it. 

3) Holiday Gatherings.

Don't be around anyone that you don't want to. That's it. If there is any uneasiness and if the time doesn't permit without you losing your peace, don't be around "them."

4) Stay Focused.

Don't throw your goals out the window this holiday season. My weight loss goals, financial goals, and blogging goals are still going to be in place this holiday season. My God-given purpose doesn't take a break...I'm staying focused.

5) Grace Yourself & Rest.

Some of us are grieving things, people, and experiences we lost this year. Be easy on yourself, feel your emotions, and journal them. Be intentional about therapy during the holiday season, if you already have a therapist. For some of us, this is the only "break" we get from work...so rest as much as possible if you can.

Do this Christmas season your way to keep the holiday season blues away. Christmas is going to come and go in a blink of an eye, so try not to get suckered into putting your all (that you truly don't have to give) into 1 month. 

Love you. Mean it.

-B

Comments